The BIA Legal Update training package consists of six modules and includes videos and activities to carry out. The training has been designed to reinforce you’re learning by helping you consider how you will apply what you have learnt to your work.
The course will help you continue to develop the skills necessary to obtain, evaluate and analyse complex evidence and differing views. You will learn how to weigh them appropriately in decision making. The course will help you meet your statutory duties and allow you to continue to practice as a BIA. It will help you consider the role of the BIA in the new era of the LPS.
- The course is accompanied by an exercise workbook including useful links.
- On completion of all six modules, the exercises and the feedback form, you will be able to download your certificate of completion.
The Mental Capacity (Amendment) Act 2019 is scheduled, bringing with it the Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS), has been delayed. Implementation is now likely 2023 or beyond.
It is therefore essential that all BIAs have completed their statutory legal update training before the changes come into force, in order to be able to transition across to the new Approved Mental Capacity Professional (AMCP), and the potential other roles also being introduced by the LPS.
The Modules Cover:
- The role of the BIA in the new era of the LPS
- Has the definition of what is a deprivation of liberty changed?
- The six Department of Health and Social Care fact sheets
- The Form 3 – does form and substance matter?
- The interface between public law and best interest – recent case law
Meet the trainer
The training is delivered by Sue Inker. Sue is a lawyer and Bond Solon’s subject matter expert in capacity, best interests, and deprivation of liberty.
Watch Sue introduce the course.
Why do the Bond Solon BIA online Legal Update?
- Receive Bond Solon’s high quality training and complete in your own time
- Save progress as you go along and pick up where you left off
- No need to take time off work to complete
- Written and delivered by subject matter experts
- Receive Certificate of completion for your CPD portfolio
- Modular format with exercises to support learning, making it easy to apply to work
This is an online module to complete in your own time. Please select the date of 30th December 2025 when booking. You will have instant access to the course.