Courtroom Skills - overview
The witness box is a lonely place. Many experts feel they are on trial, rather than giving independent testimony to assist the court. Often, experts are unfamiliar with this environment, as few cases go to trial. But a poor performance can undermine your confidence and credibility.
Courtroom Skills is an intensive and highly practical training day. First we examine the theory, practice and procedure of giving evidence, demystifying the process. Then you are cross-examined on a case study you prepare on your field of expertise. A professional trainer, who is also an experienced lawyer, gives constructive feedback on your witnessbox presentation. As with all our courses, you will receive a comprehensive workbook.
This course can count towards the University of Aberdeen Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate.
Key Learning Points
- How the Scottish court system works
- Your role as an independent educator of the court
- Key skills of presenting effective evidence
- Techniques advocates use in cross-examination and how to handle them
- Expressing an opinion based on the foundation of fact
- Giving confident, clear testimony under cross-examination
- If required, explaining your methodology and analysis of the facts and how you arrived at your opinions