Key Learning Points
- Gaining an overview of how the court system works
- Understanding your role as an independent educator of the court
- Identifying key skills of presenting effective evidence
- Determining the techniques lawyers use in cross-examination and how to handle them
- Expressing an opinion based on the foundation of fact
- Learning how to give confident, clear testimony under cross-examination
Courtroom skills - overview
The witness box is a lonely place. Many expert witnesses feel they’re on trial, standing in the dock rather than giving independent testimony to assist the court. Often, experts are unfamiliar with this environment, as few cases go to a full trial.
But a poor performance can undermine confidence and credibility.
Courtroom Skills is an intensive and highly practical training day. First, we examine the theory, practice and procedure of giving evidence, demystifying the process. Then, you’re cross-examined on a case study that you prepare in your field of expertise. A professional trainer, who’s an experienced lawyer, gives constructive feedback on your witness-box presentation.
As with all our courses, you’ll receive a comprehensive workbook and quick reference guide.
This course can count towards the Cardiff University Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate.
Important Information for Expert Witnesses with a Forthcoming Hearing
If you have an upcoming case where you are being called to give evidence, please call our office on 0207 549 2549 before booking. Expert Witnesses with upcoming cases will benefit more by attending our bespoke reactive Witness Familiarisation Service.