Key Learning Points
- Identifying the key issues in the complaint and the existing facts or evidence available before conducting an interview
- How to plan and prepare a fact finding interview both face to face and over the telephone
- Understanding and using different questioning techniques to establish the facts and to obtain all the available evidence
- How to conduct interviews by applying the PEACE Model (Planning and preparation, Engage and explain, Account, clarification and challenge, Closure and Evaluation) and consider other interviewing models
- How to structure objective interviews in a manner that is appropriate to the type of interview and interviewee
Questioning and Communication Techniques in Complaints – Overview
Personnel tasked with conducting a complaints investigation will often need to question a variety of people, including the complainant, a range of witnesses and those who are subject to the complaint. These interviews will either be conducted face to face or over the telephone. It is essential that these personnel have the requisite competencies to be able to undertake this role to best practice standards, enabling them to obtain key information to effectively deal with a complaint.
During this one-day course delegates will learn how to identify the issues around the complaint and effectively plan and structure appropriate interviews. They will consider a range of questioning techniques available to them, including the PEACE Model (Planning and preparation, Engage and explain, Account, clarification and challenge, Closure and Evaluation). Delegates will also learn how to appropriately and sensitivity handle witnesses who maybe angry, upset and confused. Through role-play and trainer led constructive feedback this course will instil the fundamental principles and develop the delegates to carry out effective questioning and fact finding interviews.
This course can count towards the nationally recognised Complaints Handling qualification - the Professional Award in Complaints Handling and Investigations.