If you are an expert witness whose specialisms falls outside the medical field, please visit our expert witness training overview webpage
Medical experts play a fundamental role within the judicial system by providing opinion evidence to assist courts in reaching decisions. As well as having the relevant qualifications and experience in your professional field, it is now regarded as essential to undertake recognised Expert Witness Training.
Expert witness training requirements for medical and healthcare expert witnesses
In May 2019 the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges issued guidance for professionals acting as medical and heathcare expert witnesses where it is clearly stated that in addition to possessing the necessary clinical knowledge, training and experience, “healthcare professionals who act as expert witnesses should undertake specific training for being an expert witness and the expectations and responsibilities of this role. Training should be kept up to date with appropriate refresher courses or other activities.”
This guidance has been endorsed by the majority of healthcare professional organisations in the UK and is supported by the regulatory bodies. Find out more about this guidance here
Recognised Expert Witness Training
Bond Solon is the UK’s leading provider of expert witness training, CPD and Certification for medical and healthcare experts. We provide training covering the core areas of expert witness work.
Individual experts can attend our public courses (currently delivered virtually) or we can arrange closed courses (either virtually or face-to-face) if you have a group of colleagues who wish to attend training together. Various e-learning products are also available.
In conjunction with Cardiff University and the University of Aberdeen we offer university certificated training for experts who act in civil, criminal and family law proceedings. Finally, we host an Annual Conference which is the largest gathering of expert witnesses in the UK.
Our expert witness training will enable you to:
- Comply with the expert witness training requirements set in the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Guidance
- Undertake CPD learning that addresses the legal aspects of your work
- Comply with the relevant law and procedure that applies to your expert witness work
- Produce court-compliant reports and give effective oral evidence
- Conduct yourself appropriately in experts’ discussions and meetings
- Market your expert witness services more effectively
To view the full list of our courses please click here
Completion of the Cardiff University Bond Solon (CUBS) Expert Witness Certificate or University of Aberdeen Bond Solon (UABS) Expert Witness Certificate will enable you to:
- Demonstrate your compliance with the expert witness training requirements set in the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Guidance
- Demonstrate to instructing parties that you are competent to perform the role of the expert witness
- Register for free on the National Register of University Certificated Expert Witnesses
- More effectively market your expert witness services
- Makes you eligible for discounted PI premiums for your expert witness work
View Expert Witness Courses
Who should attend these courses?
Our courses, conferences and university certificated training programmes are suitable for medical experts whether they have been acting as an expert witness for many years or are completely new to the role.
Upon booking your place on one of our courses, you will be given exclusive access to the Bond Solon Digital Hub, which will provide you with the following benefits:
- Access and download all of the information you need for your course
- Receive web and email notifications reminding you of any pre-course work to complete prior to attending the course
- Access a range of news, insights and practical resources directly relevant to your expert witness work
- Be alerted to changes in law and procedure that directly affect your expert witness work
- Access updated materials for the courses you have already attended
Over 250,000 witnesses have attended our courses and in excess of 1,500 experts have completed or are in the process of completing Cardiff University and University of Aberdeen Expert Witness Certificates.
If you have an upcoming case where you are being called to give evidence, and require a course that will familiarise you with the process of giving evidence, lawyers’ techniques in cross-examination and allows you to experience cross-examination in a safe learning environment, then we would advise making use of our reactive Witness Familiarisation Service. For further details please call our office on 020 7549 2549.